I used to spend summers in my grandfather’s citrus farm when I was a wee child. I remember the sheer delight of running wild, rolling around the dirt and catching dragonflies. Those were the pre-internet/tablet/smartphone days and children had to resort to their imaginations to keep themselves entertained. Ah, life was so simple back then.
Which brings us to present day where I’ve been planning to visit an organic farm for what seems like forever and finally did! Fortunately, one of the largest ones in Southern California is located in San Diego. Suzie’s Farm offers seasonal tours hosted by it’s gracious owner Lucila along with the farm’s motley canine (and human) crew. You can spot one of them striking a pose for me during golden hour.
Continue reading “Suzie’s Organic Farm Tour + Bonus Recipe” »
I’m recently obsessed with making German pancakes. I love how they are puffy and soft in the center then crispy around the sides. They’re really easy to make and consists of whole ingredients that you can already find in your kitchen. It’s best served hot from the oven drenched with freshly squeezed lemon and a powdering of confectioner’s sugar. Of course, a side of bacon and eggs are always a good option.
You can watch my quickie how to video on instagram here.
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk, preferably whole
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Heat oven to 400° F (as an option you can preheat the cast-iron skillet while you are preparing the batter). In a large bowl, whisk the eggs to combine. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Add the milk, salt, vanilla, cinnamon and mix until incorporated; set aside.
- Add the butter to a large cast-iron skillet and transfer to oven until the butter melts. Remove from oven and quickly pour the batter into the hot skillet. Return to oven and bake until the pancake is puffed and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Drizzle the lemon juice (if using) over the pancake. Sprinkle with the confectioners’ sugar.