I had the opportunity to test out the Tri-Star convertible carry on bag during my recent trip to New Orleans. Tom Bihn, a local company in Seattle, reached out to me to see if I was interested in this opportunity and being the gear geek that I am I welcomed it with open arms.
Now, I’ve used different bags throughout my travel career and admittedly most have been impulse buys that were so cheap they only lasted after a few uses. Some had been thoroughly researched but out on the road the performance turned out to be underwhelming or some essential features lacking.
However, with Tom Bihn’s Tri-Star Convertible Carry On Bag I think I may have found a keeper. Why?
1. It’s well designed and made of high quality material.
- The Tri-Star has 3 main compartments: 1) a front compartment for your shoes, toiletry and other personal effects; 2) a middle compartment for your laptop; 3) a rear compartment for your clothes complete with tie down straps.
- It has 4 other secondary compartments which consist of a curved zipper that could either hold travel documents for easy access or a water bottle or more shoes!
- As for material, the Tri-Star is made with an exterior of urethane coated, 1050 denier U.S. Made ballistic nylon which is superior for travel as its smooth texture allows you to more easily stow and retrieve it from overhead compartments. It also naturally attracts less fuzz/pet hair (yay!). Additionally, the bag is lined with ultra-light custom-made Dyneema/nylon rip-stop fabric that is extremely tough.
2. It’s versatile- it can be a shoulder bag or a backpack.
- This has got to be one of the coolest features for me. You can attach their ultra-comfortable shoulder strap or take out the well-hidden backpack straps to wear it anyway you want.
- As a backpack, the Tri-Star comes complete with a waist strap. The back compartment also has a light padding!
3. It’s durable and flight-friendly.
- The Tri-Star’s size meets most non-commuter domestic and international airlines’ carry-on size standards. It fits in the overhead compartment of CRJ commuter planes. Overall dimensions are : 19″ x 13″ x 8″ / 480 x 330 x 205mm
- I love, love their heavy duty non-snag zippers. They are YKK splash-proof Uretek zippers which keep the weather outside where it belongs.
- Speaking of weather, the fabric is treated to be water-resistant.
- I also love the stitching and the black piping. You know it’s not going to burst with all the excess items you keep shopping for. This also helps the bag stay in shape and upright.
POTM give’s the Tri-Star a TWO THUMBS UP. I suggest checking out their accessories: their rockin’ 3d organizer cube and their neat packing cubes. Just makes it easier to organize everything while being TSA compliant.
I’m so happy with this bag and I have been using this for all of my weekend getaways. I’m so happy with it that I’m giving one away. Well ok, technically, Tom Bihn (retails for $270) is giving one away to a lucky POTM reader. AND on top of this, they have also agreed to join me on my giveaway give back program. They are matching my $25 Kiva card donation that will also be given to the winning POTM reader who will use it to do good (because doing good is awesome).
Happy gear geek at the airport!
How to enter the giveaway
You can do one of the following:
2. Visit the Tom Bihn website http://www.tombihn.com/ and share your favorite bag by reposting on Facebook and tagging @TOMBIHN.
Rules & Mechanics
1. Only a maximum of three (3) entries per person will be allowed.
2. The contest is only open to US residents.
3. You must comment on this post by letting me know that you are joining the giveaway while indicating where I can find your entries.
5. Only one (1) winner will be selected. This will be announced on the website, Facebook and Twitter. I will also contact the winner via email. The winner will then be given two (2) days to respond to this email or the prize is mine! Note: item color may be limited to what the manufacturer has in stock.
6. Winner will be randomly selected by using http://www.random.org/lists/. So if you submit three (3) entries then your name will appear three (3) times on the list to be randomized.
Nov 1 – Nov 15, 2011